Assaults at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre

Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre was in partial lockdown over the weekend after staff walked off the job on Friday following two serious assaults last week.
In the first incident last Wednesday afternoon, a staff member was assaulted by an inmate with a makeshift knife. The victim was taken to hospital in a stable condition with an injury to the upper body.
Macedon Ranges Crime Investigation Unit detectives are expected to charge a 17-year-old boy on summons.
In the second incident on Thursday evening, two male staff members were assaulted by youths with a plastic cricket bat and were taken to hospital with cuts and bruising.
Two 18-year-old men and a 19-year-old were charged with intentionally cause injury, recklessly cause injury, affray and assault emergency worker.
A Bendigo magistrate remanded the three males to adult prison as they have been charged as adults.
A spokesperson from the Department of Justice and Community Safety said that violent behaviour or assaults at youth justice centres were “absolutely unacceptable”.
“New laws are now in effect that strengthen consequences for young people who assault youth justice custodial workers, damage property, and escape or try to escape,” the spokesperson said.
“This includes a presumption they will serve their sentences on top of an existing period of detention.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 + 18 =

error: Content is protected !!