Grand finals success

Kyneton Rangers Under 12C have taken out the double by winning the Soccer Championship and their Grand Fina in the Bendigo Amateur Soccer League finals.
The game was played at Epsom on the weekend. The Strathdale Zebra Sharks were the first to score but just before half-time, Kyneton’s David Geissler equalised with a quality strike. The second half continued to be a high-intensity game until David scored his second. With Kyneton leading 2-1, the Sharks applied pressure to the Rangers’ defence, led by Iain Kosmac, and with a couple of fine saves by goalkeeper Marty Makin, Kyneton managed to stay in the lead. After a mistake by the Zebra Sharks defence, which lead to an own goal, the final score was 3-1.
“This is a remarkable result considering that we had never had a victory against this team until today’s final. I am so proud of the effort put in by our team, both in the final, and all throughout the season,” Coach Mick Coleman said.
The Grand Final victory for the club was celebrated with all players receiving a trophy from BASL and further awards will be presented for their Championship winning season at the Kyneton District Soccer Club’s Junior Presentation Day.
Under 18s win
Kyneton District Soccer Club Under 18s won the BASL grand final on the weekend defeating Castlemaine Gold Yahoos.
Coming from fourth on the ladder, the team found its groove late in the season. The game started as a tight tussle with neither side prepared to give any ground and the defences both on top. Kyneton found the early lead however through a Bryson Gilbert goal to go into halftime one nil up.
The second half was a back and forward affair, with Castlemaine looking for the equaliser and Kyneton looking for a second and a cushion to work with. Castlemaine found the equaliser with less then 10 minutes to go and at full time the scores were locked at one all.
A short break and 10 minutes each of extra time is what the lads from both teams had to look forward to. Both teams attacked looking for the winner and with less than five minutes of the second half extra time left, a Bryson Gilbert shot from 30 metres beat the keeper over his head to find the winner for Kyneton.
Both Kyneton and Castlemaine played the game with great intensity and in the spirit that befits a Grand Final and showcased what the sport is all about.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

two + two =

error: Content is protected !!