Residents vow to fight

It’s a problem that is well and truly on the nose … just where can all that waste from mobile homes go?
Macedon Ranges Shire Council is continuing to investigate possible sites for a new recreational vehicle waste disposal point in Kyneton.
The current site at Kyneton Mineral Springs Reserve, a septic system, has been deemed unfit for use due to its limited capacity, and has cost the council at least $40,000 in repairs due to blockages and overflows.
Initial site assessments were undertaken last year at a number of locations but a majority of those did not satisfy essential operational requirements of having available connection to sewer and water mains, or the necessary turning circle and access for large vehicles.
Four sites have been assessed as operationally feasible – Kyneton Showgrounds, Johnson Court, Kyneton Visitor Information Centre toilet block (Bourke Street) and the Kyneton Velodrome – and are being explored in greater detail to consider traffic management, engineering details, risks and impacts to user groups and residents.
But a group of residents who live near the Bourke Street site, which adjoins the Jean Haynes Playground and train park, have vowed to fight any bid to make that the location.
“Children using Kyneton’s train park are in danger of finding the quiet street overrun by large 4WDs with caravans in tow,” resident Stacy Foster said.
“This is a serious child safety issue and an accident waiting to happen.
“Children will be needlessly endangered by these large articulated vehicles turning and reversing on our narrow street to dump sewerage at the playground.
“This area is already a school pick up and drop off point for various school buses and our kids use the playground equipment and the barbecue area frequently for birthday parties.”
In a letter to concerned residents, a council spokesperson said that finding a suitable alternative site to the Kyneton Mineral Springs Reserve was important to ensuring Kyneton maintained its status as an RV Friendly Town and the local economy continued to benefit from this growing visitor market.
“The site at the rear of the Kyneton Visitor Information Centre toilet block is one of many potential sites being assessed throughout the township,” the spokesperson said.
But Ms Foster said residents had not yet been consulted on council’s plans.
“We demand an independent traffic impact assessment during peak periods,” she said.
Objecting residents have also collected almost 400 signatures to an online petition (www.change.org/p/macedon-ranges-shire-council-stop-macedon-ranges-shire-council-dumping-rv-poop-on-our-kids-at-the-kyneton-train-park).
Angela Hughes, council’s director of planning and environment, said that when a decision was ready to be made, it would be brought before councillors at an Ordinary Council Meeting.
“At this stage, officers cannot give an indication as to which future council meeting the matter will be reported to,” she said.

One thought on “Residents vow to fight

  • August 4, 2020 at 10:06 pm
    Permalink

    Unsupervised children are a danger wherever they play.
    The RV area is clearly marked with wide roads, the playground is fenced. Parents must take responsibility for their rug rats and at the same time teach them the difference between playing in a park or on a roadway.
    As a motor home owner for 20 years I can tell you that the speed those vehicles travel in that area is very slow, so no danger there.
    The motor home association will often help finance a “Dump Point” that motor homes can use quite successfully.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eighteen + 9 =

error: Content is protected !!